Monday, January 31, 2022

My favourite alternative treatments for Fibromyalgia: Magnesium, Mindfulness, Grounding

 My Favourite Alternative Treatments for Fibromyalgia:
 

1. MAGNESIUM:

I take a high strength magnesium tablet once daily, near bedtime to help with my cramping in my feet and my legs, sometimes I get cramping in my ribs as well which is just as painful as the ones on the top of my feet.

During a #fibroflare the magnesium feels like it's not working as well as it should be, however I know that the magnesium is working because there has been the occasion when I have not been able to afford buying a new bottle and as a result have had to go without it for a week at most. That was a week too long! Oh my gosh the cramping that happens without taking the magnesium is incredibly awful, not bearable.


2. MINDFULNESS:

Not long after first being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I was accepted into a (newísh) and highly successful chronic pain course, here in South Australia; that is run by the head physiotherapist at Marion Physio her name is Julie Peacock and part of what I took part in involved mindfulness and gentle stretching which is included in their Advanced Pain Solutions group 8 week course. 

So through the retraining of the brain I learned that even our thoughts - positive and negative have an affect on our pain. Mindfulness as a form of therapy for Fibromyalgia can work when utilised and practised properly. 

"Mindfulness will help your mind become aware of what is happening in your body. It will allow a greater connection of how your thoughts impact on your body. You will learn to move again in a pain free way and create a calming of the nervous system. This can improve your body's ability to repair and be restored."


3. GROUNDING:

Grounding is something a bit unusual I suppose, more of a holistic somewhat spiritual form of treatment. Once you open up your conscious to the process it becomes almost natural to perform. I do feel though that you need to have more of a predisposition to being aware, being open to other levels of healing. Oddly enough this technique does involve some Mindfulness as well.

I like to spend time barefoot outdoors in contact with natural conductive surfaces, like grass or the earth (dirt). And when I am more intune with my body this technique feels wonderfully relaxing.

I had heard of this form of treatment long before being diagnosed with Fibro, through my psychologist - Emma Warne (best ever Psychologist in South Glenelg, South Australia.) I highly recommend her and her team at Mind Your Body

https://raisingchildren.net.au/guides/activity-guides/wellbeing/grounding-calming-exercise-children-teenagers




2 comments:

  1. I definitely have found all three to be important in my tool kit for living FULLY despite Fibromyalgia. I take magnesium in the am and pm. I've tried mg calcitrate and malate.

    Getting on nature is a major go to. Even if it's just to goonmy back deck during the winter to get a bit of natural light and fresh air. I took a free online meditation MBSR course via Palousemindfulness.com. I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment. I will have a look at that link you recommended.

      Delete